Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Almost Home


Only two more nights in China and then we get to come home!  I’ve enjoyed the past couple of days here, but am getting tired.  Again – being pregnant might not be the best condition for a trip like this.

We have had a busy day today and afternoon yesterday.  After yesterday’s nap, we went out with our group to sightsee a bit around Guangzhou.  They took us first to a park (which probably has a name, but I’m not sure what that is) and we spent about an hour walking around there.  At first it seemed like a typical park – walking around a lake, beautiful trees and flowers, lots of people.  But the more we walked, the more interesting it became.  We discovered that it was kind of like a combination of massive park, playground, carnival, craft bizarre and music venue.  Several bands and other musicians were out providing entertainment, older Chinese people were gathered together to play cards or hacky sack (apparently quite the popular pastime for elderly women here - lol), grandparents and grandchildren sat at tables and did crafts together, and people of all ages played on the many playground and carnival rides available (including personal motorized go carts decorated with carpet to look like animals). 

We stopped at the playground area to let the kids in our group play.  The playground equipment here is much different than what we have at home.  I think a lawyer would love it here as many of the toys didn’t seem very safe.  Children were having a grand old time though, including those from our group, with the exception of Leo, of course.  We tried putting him on the slide and he screamed.  Then we tried the little merry-go-ground elephant ride and he cried on it, too.  In the end, we decided he was just happy to watch and walk around; no playground playing for him yet.  My mom would probably laugh as I was a scaredy cat as a kid, too (still am!).


 
After the park, we were taken to a museum that used to be an academy that used to be a private temple for the Chen family (which is apparently a huge family in this part of China).  The architecture here was beautiful and the exhibits showcased folk art.  It was interesting to see, though again, I’m not sure that sightseeing is all that effective when toting around a toddler who is mostly interested in eating his puff snacks, splashing his sippy cup, and walking around aimlessly.  Mostly it was nice to be out and about and seeing something outside of the hotel.

When we came back to the hotel, it was dinnertime, so we joined up with a couple of families from our group to try out an Irish pub in the neighborhood.  I was a bit apprehensive, as eating Western food in China is sometimes not the same as what we’d get at home, but this turned out to be the tastiest meal of the trip.  Caolon got the shepherd’s pie, which he shared with a very happy Leo, and I had the fish and chips.  It was so good that I ate too much and made myself sick.  Apparently I’ve gotten unaccustomed to greasy food here, so my stomach wasn’t able to handle it very well.  Anyway, it was nice to have dinner with the other families and just talk about our kids and our experiences here. 

We settled into the hotel room a little early so that Leo could have some time to play and unwind.  He really loves to just have time to play on his own in the room.  He keeps himself busy and seems happiest when we have times like those.  He doesn’t mind being on the go, either, but I don’t think it’s always his preference.

While Leo was playing and Grammie and I watching him, Caolon went out to track down some ice cream, which I was craving.  He reported back that 8:30 p.m. and after is apparently not the time for a white boy to be walking down the street near our hotel.  He said he was propositioned over and over by men trying to sell him everything from black market goods, to drugs, to prostitutes.  He did find the ice cream though (at a McDonald’s!), so that was something!

This morning was an early one, as we had to go to the American Consulate for an appointment to get Leo’s visa.  This is to help him immigrate into the United States.  Once he has his visa, he will be set up to become an American citizen as soon as we arrive to the Minneapolis airport (where we have our connection).  I had been nervous for this appointment, as it’s the one where they check all of our paperwork to this point to make sure it’s all in order.  I guess I was worried they would find something amiss.  I wasn’t the only mama stressing – I think the other gals in our group were also ready to get this one over with.  We all had to go in a big group where we sat together and waited in a dullsville waiting room, like the one at the DMV.  Then they called us up one by one to look at our papers and get our signatures.  It ended up being completely boring and totally not something I should have worried about.  Still, I was glad to get that over with.  Now we just wait until tomorrow when our guide will go pick up the visas and bring them to us.  That is the last thing we need before we can leave China.

Leo did so well in the waiting room this morning – and actually throughout all of today.  Where yesterday he had several total melt downs and temper tantrums, today he has been agreeable and go with the flow.  I guess he is just like the rest of us and has good days and bad days.

After the consulate appointment, we met the rest of our group in the hotel lobby to get a group shot of all of the families.  (I wasn’t paying attention and forgot to give the guide my camera, so I don’t have a copy of this yet.  I’m planning to get one emailed to me from one of the other mothers.)  Then we had a short break before being taken out for more sightseeing. 

Today the sightseeing was done on Shaiman Island.  We were dropped off there near the Pearl River and given a few hours to explore the area on our own.  Shaiman Island is the former location of the western embassies and consulates, so it is very European looking in the architecture, art, layout, etc.  It is also very tranquil and unlike the other areas we have seen in China.  We enjoyed a quiet afternoon walking up and down the streets and in the beautiful courtyard area.  We also did some shopping.  My mom would have been disappointed in my bartering skills.  I did barter a little, but in general the prices seemed reasonable, so I know I ended up paying more than I should have.  Oh well.  I got a few souvenirs for friends back home and a couple small things for Leo.  While we were shopping, all of the Chinese people nearby kept stopping us to compliment us on our handsome son.  He has caught the attention of many people and they all seem to like him.  So do we!


 

We ate lunch at a Thai restaurant called Cow and Bridge.  It was pretty good – I had lettuce wraps, which I think are hard to do wrong.  Leo ate like a little piglet here, and I was happy to see him get some protein for a change (the past couple of days have been all about the starches and carbs).

Walking around Shaiman Island was also neat because we saw so many young couples getting their wedding photos taken.  Apparently, wedding photos in China are typically done a few weeks before the wedding.  This gives the bride and groom a chance to put together a photo album that they can show their guests at the wedding.  I think we saw five or six couples having their photos taken today.  I tried to sneak pictures so I can show Heather when I get home! 

We enjoyed Shaiman Island very much and are thinking of getting a taxi to go there again tomorrow.  We have absolutely nothing planned all day tomorrow until 4:00 p.m. when we will check out of the hotel and take a van to Hong Kong.  We will be staying the night in the hotel in the Hong Kong airport and then flying home Wednesday at 8:00 a.m.

I feel that this post lacks luster, but I am really tired today.  My baby belly has expanded the past week or so and I am feeling stretched out and sore everywhere.  It doesn’t help that we have been fairly active, are sleeping on hard beds, and I keep carrying/holding Leo longer than I really should.  I think I might go have a little rest now while the boys are napping.  Seems like they are on to a good idea!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Erin, our family wanted to tell you how much we are enjoying your post. It brings back a lot of memories from our trip to China. I was reading your post to Ellie about Leo calling Caolon "baba" and Ellie said that she learned that was the Chinese word for Father. She does call Bill "baba" a lot and Caleb "didi" which she says is little brother. We will have to look at her books and see what big brother in Chinese for Leo.
    We are praying that you deal with the lack of sleep and emotions and that Leo continues to find peace and love in your arms. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I had no idea you guys were adopting from China! Amy and I were there in early September, finalizing the adoption for our daughter (Amy blogs at fouroutoffaith.blogspot.com). We stayed at The Garden as well and recognize the places you mentioned (Amy also had the fish and chips at the pub).

    Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete